This is the difference between a building permit and a minor building permit

15 de November de 2023
Obra mayor y menor

If you are planning to renovate your property, you can’t just jump right in! Remember that you will need to obtain a permit authorizing you to do so. To do this, it is essential that you understand the difference between major and minor building permit.

Types of building permits

Since not all renovations are the same, there are two types of permits that vary according to the size of the modifications, with the purpose of guaranteeing compliance with the standards of the Technical Building Code, CTE.

These are:

  • The minor work permit.
  • The major construction permit.

What is a minor works license?

Minor works involve small-scale changes or repairs that do not affect the main structure of the property or its facade. They are small and simple works that may include:

  1. Installing ceiling moldings.
  2. Removing architectural barriers.
  3. Renovating electrical or plumbing installations.
  4. Adapting the property for people with reduced mobility.

The application for a license for minor works is usually made at the municipal offices of the City Council or through the website or electronic platform of the consistory.

The process – which is quite simple – involves submitting the following documentation:

  • Identity document (DNI or NIF).
  • License application form.
  • Receipt of payment of the fees.
  • Address of the work.
  • Site plan.
  • Detailed description of the modifications.
  • Detailed budget.
  • Proof of ownership.

The term to obtain the approval of the license depends on the City Hall. Generally, it is resolved within hours to three days.

However, it is important to take into account that the permits for minor works have a determined validity, according to the complexity of the remodeling, and they can expire.

What is a major construction permit?

A project considered major involves a technically and structurally complex construction. It generally covers:

  1. New building projects.
  2. Changes in the use of real estate.
  3. Structural modifications to buildings.
  4. Expansions in height or volume.

The procedure to apply for a major construction permit is usually carried out at the City Hall facilities. Although each local government establishes the requirements, it usually involves the presentation of these documents:

  • Application form.
  • Identification document (DNI or NIF).
  • Delegation documentation in case of technical representation.
  • Proof of payment of fees by self-assessment.
  • Technical project approved by the College of Architects.

The deadline for granting or refusing the building permit is usually three months. The municipal technicians determine the start date and estimated duration for completion.

Major and minor permits

Our construction and rehabilitation service

Now that you know the difference between major and minor building permits, it is time to take the next step.

In KM2 Real Estate Services we want to be by your side. For that reason, we elaborate a rehabilitation plan.

A strategy that will allow the property to plan and schedule the actions to be carried out in the short, medium and long term for the rehabilitation, conservation and / or adaptation of housing and common areas to the technical requirements regulated by current regulations.

Do not hesitate to contact one of our agents for more information or visit us at any of our real estate agencies in Barcelona and Madrid.

Request Information
Abrir chat